Wednesday, February 22, 2012

If You Really Wanna Know...(part one)

If You Really Wanna Know….(part one)

As I stated in my previous post, a lot has changed in the last three years. I thought it might be most efficient to sit down with an eminent interviewer (me) and lay it all out there. What transpired is as follows:

Interviewer: Thanks for sitting down with me today Shannon; may I call you Shannon?
Shannon: Of course! Some call me Mama G, but Shannon is just fine.

Interviewer: So, Shannon, what exactly HAVE you been doing these last two-and-a-half years?
Shannon: Wow, well, let’s see: In 2009 our older son graduated high school, of course, and that Fall he headed off to Indiana Wesleyan University. He had a tough couple of semesters, some was his fault some was not; like a bout of appendicitis and a ruptured appendix at finals time.

Interviewer: Wow, that doesn’t make it easy!
Shannon: No, certainly not. He never quite recovered academically so he came back home to attend a local community college. That summer he started dating Jeanette Marian Kaminski.

Interviewer: First girlfriend?
Shannon: Indeed! We knew she was special right off the bat. So, that Fall of 2009 I went back to school and plugged away at my degree. It was sometimes very hard to be a mother of two teen boys and a full-time student, but I knew it was temporary. During the Summer of 2010 I began again at Prairieview Golf Club, and even got to hand-pick my own intern! I soon discovered that the job wasn’t really a good fit for me. Plus, I was picking up some of my own business on the side and wanted to devote myself to that.

Interviewer: How do you like working in landscaping?
Shannon: Well, it is hard work, to be sure. But I love to get my hands dirty; I actually enjoy weeding and cleaning up an area. I especially like the design process, and seeing a project through from beginning to end. My favorite part is when the customer is pleased with what I have done.

Interviewer: It sure is important to like what you do. Let’s talk about the Fall of 2010. From what I understand a sort of vortex of events took place at that time.
Shannon: Yeah, you could say that! (laughs) Let’s see….that Fall we planned to take a family hiking trip to Colorado, and each of the boys were given permission to bring someone along. Matt brought Jeanette, and Phil brought his friend Joey from school. Unfortunately, mere days before we were to leave, Steve (my husband) tripped on some stuff on the basement stairs and broke his foot in two places. We were devastated!

Interviewer: Oh, what bad timing! Right before a hiking trip, too!
Shannon: Yup…really bad timing. Steve wanted to go anyway, so off we went, in two cars nonetheless since we had so many people along. He had on splints and a walking boot for protection, and a pair of sturdy crutches. Since he would have to wait for surgery until the swelling went down it seemed natural to go anyway.

Interviewer: Man, I give that guy credit for pressing onward!
Shannon: Eh, he’s a trooper. (shrugs) It’s what he does. On our way to Colorado, the car carrying Steve and Jeanette, and being driven by Matt, was rear-ended in Nebraska. Everyone was basically fine, in our car and the one that hit us, but the car was pretty wrecked up. We limped along to Colorado and got the repairs started out there. We ended up renting a van that would be with us for a good two months until the car was repaired and shipped back.

Interviewer: Did you think about turning around at that time? To press on seems a little insane at this point.
Shannon: (heavy sigh) Yes, yes we did. It was probably foolhardy, but we went anyway. The trip was vastly modified from what we originally planned, but we had a good time anyway. The weather was good, our cabin was comfortable, and Joey and Jeanette got to see the Rockies for the first time. The trip back was pretty uneventful.

Interviewer: Soooo…then what?
Shannon: Well, I went back to school, the kids went back to school, Steve got his surgery, and Matt and Jeanette got engaged!

Interviewer: (laughing) Wow! Is that all?
Shannon: (also laughing) No, actually, that is not all.

Interviewer: No! Say it isn’t so!!!
Shannon: God’s truth! It was a biggie, too, a pivotal moment.

Interviewer: Bigger than an engagement?
Shannon: No, certainly not. We were very excited to be gaining a daughter-in-law, and were busy helping to plan a wedding for a mere three months hence. Nothing could top that! But the next event changed our world, hopefully for the better.

Interviewer: Sounds big; let’s take a break and pick this back up tomorrow. One more question, though, and I do feel it my duty to ask the hard questions: Do you wear bifocals?
Shannon: Wow, ouch! (laughs heartily) Well, no, I don’t. But the truth is I am ready. I was nearly ready last year and did not adapt to the Progressive lenses. Now I know I am ready. Shannon, I will look forward to seeing you again tomorrow.

Interviewer: Likewise, Shannon! Sleep well.
Shannon: God bless.

4 comments:

  1. I was referred to your blog by Little Bit of Wonderful on FB. Enjoyed it & can't wait to read Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks Billie! I hope I didn't just set the bar too high...

      Delete
  2. way to leave us in suspense....man, now I have to come back to see what happens...wait, Jeanette and Matt did get married, right? Right???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out!!! ;o) lol!

      Delete