Friday, February 20, 2009

More unexpected blessings

A friend took a trip to Honduras with his daughter this week, serving with a medical mission that gives poor Hondurans a chance to consult with eye doctors, dentists, general practitioners, and each one is exposed to the Gospel. The kids can also have their hair washed and cleaned of lice. Everyone I know who has been on a trip like this tells of the ways they see God working in the people they meet and in their own hearts, and it makes me want to go. In lieu of being able to go, I usually end up helping cover the Sunday School class that is left without a teacher for this time. This is no small task, because I am typically a poor preparer, and am just not a teacher. I just am not. I did it for a couple years before finding that it just wasn't my forte and I was doing the kids a disservice by not having someone more qualified in my role. Not that I didn't enjoy it, mind you.

Well, this particular class is a daunting one for substitutes. First, they are junior high age. Enough said on that, right? Second, they really love their teacher. His shoes are tough ones to fill! He assures me it will be fine, and the kids essentially set their own schedule for the class, sort of.

He was not kidding. These kids knew exactly what to do, someone had brought doughnuts, they made their cocoa, and wwer ready to crack open their Bibles and get learning! Every kid in the room participated in reading aloud, and during their question and answer time, every kid had either something to ask or something to answer. It was awesome, the way these kids were hungry for the word of God. You should have seen their eyes light up when I pulled out my exhaustive concordance and explained how to use it!

The whole experience was awesome...and I never thought I would say that about junior high sunday school. I can't wait to do it again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment