Monday, January 12, 2009

One down, forty or so to go....

I made it through Day 1 back to school! Unfortunately my first day back is also a Monday, the day most heavily weighted with classes...five of them, to be exact! So I was there from eight this morning to four this afternoon...and I am sorry to report I was two minutes late for that first class. I am so ashamed.....

It's going to be an interesting semester. First, I discovered that the Horticulture semester has been condensed from sixteen into ten weeks, to leave more room for the summer internships. Then I discovered that this Thursday the whole Hort department, essentially, will be attending the "Mid-Am" trade show in Chicago, a showcase for companies in the horticultural business. Yeah, I think I can spend my day there instead of in class! Twist my arm! If the snow doesn't wipe us out tomorrow I go back for four more classes. Seventeen hours really fills up the week. I am glad I will have Fridays off from school, although not off from lunch duty at the kids' school.

On a different note, it has been in interesting week or so personally, as well. As far as ministries and volunteering go, it is time to get back in the swing of things after the holiday down-time. I was SO looking forward to our church's annual Week of Prayer. Knowing I had volunteering on Tuesday evening and a meeting on Thursday evening, I made it a point to go out and catch the Wednesday evening prayer time. Except, upon arriving at the host home, I discovered that the gathering was over already...scheduled for the afternoon instead of the evening. How in the world did I miss that???? Well, the hosts, ever the gracious souls, had pity on me and invited me in to their home for fellowship, even though they were still entertaining anohter couple, some dear friends of their's. At first I was hesitant and nervous, but it didn't take long to relax and join the conversation. What a wonderful eveing it turned out to be! I learned more about the host couple, and got to know another couple, as well. It was great hearing them tell stories from their days teaching school, and of their conversion experiences. Before I knew it two hours had gone by and it was time to go home. I am very grateful to them for their hospitality and grace. And we even got to have some prayer time before we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment