Sunday, December 21, 2008

My very own "C"

I am d-o-n-e with College Algebra! I still wish I had done better, but no matter. I am done and don't have to retake the course!

This past weeknd we travelled (right after another ice and snow storm, of course,)to Indiana to have Steve's family Christmas. My MIL and her husband open their home and buy gifts to pass around. There are not as many little ones as there has been in past years, but it was fun anyway. For several years I have gottena little tightly wound over the whole buying-gifts-because-it's-expected part of Christmas. I mean, why would I spend 50 bucks on you so you can spend fifty bucks on me? Don't get me wrong, I love to give gifts, especially meaningful ones or ones that really matter, like charutable gifts. And I tried ot break the cycle, I really did. We explained ot MIL that we don't need anything or expect anything, and how about a gift from us to Heifer International in your name? I think they would rather have gotten a lump of coal. I felt like a heel, which is another whole issue in itself, a post for another time, but it made me think about how much my MIL LOVES to give gifts, loves the whole wrapping paper and mess. I concluded that it doesn't really matter that half the gifts she gives us get quietly donated to the Hospice resale shop, it is really the joy she gets in giving and shopping that matter to her. I learned to ask her what she wants, and just buy it; that way I also don't stress about what to get her when they want for nothing. It doesn't matter if it is not a surprise, it doesn't matter if it didn't cost a lot. It matters to me, now, because it matters to her.

And now, something completely random but incredibly cute and amusing:

No comments:

Post a Comment